A lot of companies are wondering about how to use social media to their advantage. Now I’ve been on Social Media for awhile I think I maybe able to help them out, at least by pointing out what DOESN’T work.
1. Accept help from fans and don’t go after people who are mostly helping promote your project for using logos, etc.
2. Stay out there. Social Media is a relationship. Don’t make a splash and then just drop it.
3. Be clever, timely and be willing to laugh at yourself and show that you get the joke, that you’re part of the conversation.
4. Don’t get so caught up in small goals (ie to get so many followers), that you lose site of your big goals.
5. Have a designated social media poster with it being a major part of their job because to be out there across platforms really does take time, but make sure the person is kept in the loop and has people they can turn to for quick answers to questions.
6. Just don’t rely on being tagged in on conversations, search for related terms and look to see who is talking about it. Jump in and answer questions you know the answer to whether they are directed to you or not.
Those are my thoughts anyway and I’m sharing them because a perfect illustration was thrown in my lap by Sam Ford. He tweeted the link to this story about how Tide responded to a spoof story about their brand on The Onion.